Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Book: Pretty Little Liars by Sara Shepard

7/26/2011
Final thoughts

Wait! Final thoughts? Yes, because I read this book in about 2 1/2 hours. Why is it that so many books are in these ridiculously long series? Money, money, money! I digress...let's talk about the book.

It's definitely not literature, but it certainly is a guilty pleasure read. I had seen the commercials for the television show of the same name, but I have never watched it. Basic premise: a group of priviledged white girls' best friend (Alison) disappears and is presumed dead. The group becomes estranged, fast forward three years and they begin to get notes, texts, IMs, and emails from "A" who knows all their dirty little secrets. Cue spooky music here...

When I saw the book, I thought that I would check it out and see if it is an appropriate book for my eighth grade classroom library. It isn't. While it is a YA book, it glorifies drinking, drugs, skinny dipping, bulimia, shoplifting, sex, and trying to be "perfect". Oh, and did I mention the affair with a teacher? Yeah, that's not going anywhere near my classroom library. HOWEVER, and it's a big however, I liked the book. I couldn't put it down. It was catchy and had a lot of intrigue. I love a good mystery, and I was so disappointed when I got to the end and my big questions were still unanswered. Then I looked for the sequel and found out that there are TEN, yes, that's right, you read correctly TEN books in this series. I doubt Shepard will divulge all the secrets in book number two...is it worth reading on? I don't know. I just want to know this one thing: who is A, and how does he/she know every one's secrets?

I definitely didn't need to use much brainpower to read this book, but it was a quick and fun read.

Grade: low B, high C

No comments:

Post a Comment