Search This Blog

Thursday, July 14, 2011

Book: Beauty Queens by Libba Bray

Intial thoughts:
Preface to Chapter 4:

When I read the summary for the book Beauty Queen by Libba Bray, I was instantly intrigued. I am a fan of Lord of the Flies, Lost, and satire. I am in love with this book! It's sardonic and smart and I can't wait to read more...

Final thoughts:

Upon completion of this book, I felt a little disappointed. I wanted to LOVE this book, but instead, I only had a slight crush on it. I enjoyed the sarcasm and the feminist message, but as a novel, it lacked a little oomph. This was not a book that I had to keep reading, and it took me longer than most to read because I didn't feel compelled to read until the wee hours of the night. It was original, it was snarky, and it was humorous; however, I still found it lacking. It reminded me of cooking from a recipe and even though I followed all the directions and it looks like the picture, it doesn't taste like I thought it would. Beauty Queens is missing some spice.

Grade: a generous C-

1 comment:

  1. Please read Luncheon of the Boating Party by Vreeland. I started it thinking, "Well, my dad loved it and he was a BIG Renoir fan; so I should like it because I like Renoir." I lovey love LOVE it.

    ReplyDelete