Search This Blog

Thursday, July 21, 2011

Book: Insatiable by Meg Cabot

20 July 2011

Initial Thoughts:
Chapter 1-Chapter 11 (They're really short chapters):

I love the Sookie Stackhouse series by Charlaine Harris, and a friend compared this book to that series. Yes, it's another vampire book to add to my repertoire, but that's fine with me! I am starting to get pulled into the book, but even at chapter 11, Cabot is still laying the expository groundwork. I find myself pulling the pieces of the puzzle together and trying to configure the final product. Despite the fact that it is fun to determine the plot of a novel prior to the events unfolding, I always find myself rooting for the book to surprise me. Yes, I have some satisfaction in being right, but that also takes the thrill out of reading.

25 July 2011
Final Thoughts:

So, I liked this book. It took me awhile to get into it because of the exponential amount of exposition, but once the storyline was established, I couldn't put this book down. Yes, there are similarities to Sookie Stackhouse (e.g. heroine has telepathic abilities, falls in love with a vampire, chaos ensues, etc.). I prefer the Stackhouse series, but was pleasantly surprised by this novel.

Cabot's heroine, Meena Harper alludes to several successful vampire series such as Harris' Southern Vampire series (Stackhouse) and Stephenie Meyer's Twilight series with disdain because she is tired of hearing about vampires, but then gets wrapped up in her own vampire adventure.

The biggest complaint that I had was that the novel was very ambitious, and tries to accomplish myriad subplots without delving into them with the detail that they truly needed (and really the book would be 2,000 pages long if she did). Also, Meena, along with some of the minor characters, seems to suffer personality changes throughout the novel, so as a reader, I could not get a good estimation of who she was.

Maybe I'm just a sucker for a vampire novel, but I did enjoy this book. I think I will try the sequel next Overbite. Hopefully it doesn't overly bite.

Grade: B-

No comments:

Post a Comment