Search This Blog

Thursday, August 4, 2011

Book: Room by Emma Donoghue

August 4, 2011

This book came highly recommended by my friend, Kate. If you haven't heard of this book, then you are most likely unaware of these obscure titles as well: The DaVinci Code, Twilight, or Harry Potter either...Room has had plenty of hype, and it deserved it all.

When I learned of the basic premise from a student of mine, I didn't want to read this book because I feared it would be too depressing (it wasn't). Here's the plot synopsis: a 19 year old girl gets abducted and confined in an 11 x 11 shed, she gives birth to a son, Jack, who, when the story begins, is turning five years old. The story is told from Jack's perspective which was an interesting choice, but painted the novel in a light that would not have been possible from any other point of view. Jack's perception of life is confined to the limitations of Room. His optimistic and happy proclivity counterbalance the shadow that clings to his mother. His mother, affectionately known only as Ma throughout the novel, is an amazing, intelligent woman and mother given her circumstances; she uses her resources to teach her son not only literacy and numeracy, but also gifts him with compassion, protection, and her unconditional, unrelenting, and heart-breakingly honest love.

Room is the type of book that captured me from the first few lines and rendered me incapacitated until it was complete. Yes, there were some unbelievable parts, which, due to spoilers, I won't mention. This story's plot may have started as a heart-wrenching story of abduction and abuse, but it ends as an endearing love story between mother and son.

My grade: I would give Room an A, all day, every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment