Search This Blog

Monday, August 8, 2011

Book Trilogy: The Wolves of Mercy Falls: Shiver, Linger, & Forever by Maggie Stiefvater

August 4, 2011

I read this trilogy in three days. It captured my attention and enticed me to keep reading. I was recommended this book ages ago by an eighth grade student, but I wasn't interested in it at the time. Now that it is summer, I decided to give these books a spin...I'm glad I did. Shiver, Linger, and Forever are well written young adult fiction. They are exciting without being over-done with a touch of tenderness to which most teens can relate.

Basic premise: Grace was attacked by wolves when she was 11, but one of the wolves saved her from being killed. Grace and the wolf watch each other from afar for years. At age 17, Grace discovers that the wolves are actually werewolves, and she and the aforementioned wolf fall into a very Shakespearean tragedy influenced star-crossed love affair. Ultimately, this is a love story with a splash of werewolves, the theme of true love conquers all with a dash of suspense here and there. The series is well written and will definitely capture the attention of the 15+ age group (probably more the girls than the boys).

The problem I have with this series (and most YA fiction, for that matter) is the lack of strong parental characters. I realize that the nuclear family of the 1950s has long since gone by the wayside, but it would be nice to read a book geared toward the younger set that shows a respectful, healthy relationship between the protagonist and his/her parental units.

Out of all of the books, I felt that Shiver was the strongest and best written, but each book holds its own appeal. Even though these novels were written for teens, this thirty-something mother certainly appreciated this tender trilogy.

Grade: B+

No comments:

Post a Comment